Earn your master of arts degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The Master of Arts in Liberal Studies courses are all offered 100% online with two required 3-day face-to-face residencies at the beginning and end of the program. The program is designed for educators, artists, writers, activists, advocates, lifelong learners and others who, in collaboration with their faculty mentor, want to create the design and focus of their own unique graduate degree plan. These are people with experience, imagination and creativity; active learners who value an interdisciplinary sequence of studies focused on a central theme, concept or issue. The program is offered as a variable 30-36 credit program, with a 30-credit professionally oriented capstone option and a 36-credit research or creative expression oriented option.
- What's a master's degree?
- A master's degree is an advanced degree that usually takes two years to complete and typically requires students to have a bachelor’s degree in a related field of study.
- You will need to spend some time on campus to earn this degree
- This degree will require you to spend some time on-campus at Empire State College for some classes or seminars. However, the rest of your classes may be completed online. You may see this referred to as a "Hybrid Degree".
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Same faculty as on-campus
- The faculty that teach online classes are the same faculty that students learn from on-campus.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Request Program Information
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now