Earn your doctorate degree online
You will earn the same diploma as our on-campus students
The Ph.D. program prepares individuals for research and teaching positions in locations such as universities, colleges, community colleges, research positions, policy centers, state education departments, and P-12 school districts. Coursework involves core courses on broad and specific aspects of literacy theory, research, practice, and policy. These courses include a focus on areas such as literacy acquisition, development, curriculum, instruction, assessment, community involvement, critical literacies, theoretical perspectives, and teacher education. Students also complete a sequence of research courses to understand and implement research.
What's it like to earn this degree online?
Let's put your mind at ease about online learning
- 100% Online
- This program is presented 100% online. You will not be expected to attend any classes on campus.
- Live lectures
- You will learn in real-time while the professor leads the class. Courses are similar to in-person classes, but you watch online.
- Classes on your schedule
- Courses are semester based and classwork can be completed around your work and family commitments. There is no set time where you are required to log in to attend class.
- Personal concierge
- You will have one person who acts as a single point of contact for any and all questions you may have.
- Learn by doing
- Participate in field experiences such as internships, clinical placements, and service learning to apply your academic knowledge in the world.
- Powered by Open SUNY+
- In addition to the features listed above, this Open SUNY+ degree includes 24/7 support, incorporates industry-leading teaching practices, and targets an area of high employer demand in New York State and beyond.
- Request Program Information
How do I apply?
Follow these steps to start your application
- Go to the online application
- Create an account
- Complete the forms or save for later
- Pay the application fee
- Submit any supplemental materials, if required
- Send in your academic records
- Apply Now